Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA


Dogfish Head is a wonderful brewery in Delaware that is most well known for its IPA, most notably the 60 Minute version which is easily found and the 90 Minute, which is supposed to be a hoppier IPA than the 60 Minute (probably because the number of minutes in the beer is how long one of them will fuck you up) but actually doesn't taste like that.

A local fancy pants beer and wine deli here carried the much rarer 120 Minute IPA, only brewed in a handful of batches every year, so I decided to pick one up.

Taste: 9/10
All the hops punch you in the face. There's not a lot of carbonation due to the fact that this mother is 20% ABV. That's right, 20%. Six pack in a fucking bottle. I'm not one to drink an IPA on a regular basis, but if there would be one, this would be it. There's a lot going on all the way through the beer, and the aftertaste doesn't ruin the back of your tongue like a lot of IPAs I have. You can taste a whole bunch of other shit in there but my palate is not very refined. I eat Wendy's too often for that.

It says on the bottle "ages well", so I bought another to drink sometime next year to see if it will get any better, but this blog will probably be long dead by then.

Aroma: 10/10
I smelled a lot of hops, and something else smelled like fruit in there. Like I've said before, my sense of smell sucks, but even my retarded ass could tell that this was going to be a great beer. Except for...

Price: 0/10
9 DOLLARS A TWELVE OUNCE BOTTLE. You'd have to use the empty to mug a guy coming in the store to make drinking this very cost-effective. I have never paid that much for a beer before and I never will again. Fucking recession.

Hangover: N/A
I sobered up after an hour or so and still had a couple of hours before I went to bed. Nothing bad happened, but I base it on my course of action. Drinking this right before bed, like I do with the others, probably would have resulted in disaster. I'm not going to try that again. This guy chugged one, though...




I'm guessing he didn't feel too great if he went right to bed afterwards either.

The entire Dallas/Fort Worth area only got 50 cases of this stuff, so good luck finding it somewhere near you. If you have money to burn, it's a wonderful way to do it. Since most of us don't, it'll just be the expensive beer the bourgeoisie drink while they figure out what to do with all that oil money.

3 comments:

McLane said...

The price blows my fkn mind. It should come with a complimentary pocket pussy for that much.

I've seen the Dogfish Head 30 minute IPA around Phoenix but have never gone ahead and purchased it. If it's half as balanced as this fucker maybe it's a good idea to do so.

Zerkaboid said...

$9 a bottle isn't bad, you said it yourself, "a six pack in a bottle".

Zerkaboid said...

$9/bottle is not a bad price for 120 minute. You said it yourself, "a six pack in a bottle". It's comparable to a bottle of wine, and shitty wine is $9/bottle (for twice as much, but it's still shitty), but GREAT beer is just $9/bottle.