Thursday, March 6, 2008

Haymaker Extra Pale Ale


From Portland, Oregon, land of dirty hippies, and dirty hippies that brew beer, we have Haymaker Extra Pale Ale. It's got a fucking rooster on the bottle, very subtle guys, way to go. I guess the hippies were just sitting around going HEY, LET'S PUT A BIG DICK ON THE BOTTLE. NO WAIT, LET'S PUT A COCK, THAT'S JUST AS FUNNY AND NO ONE WILL NOTICE.


This ended up leftover in my fridge from a buddy who was up for the weekend, for some reason he drinks nothing but pale ales now since he's on a diet and wants to make the calories count. If it was me I'd end up with Miller Lite since I could drink 2 for every normal beer, but hey, what do I know. Didn't minor in math for a reason or anything...


Taste: 8/10
I'm not a giant fan of pale ales to begin with, most of the time if I am going to get punched in the back of the tongue it's going to be something a little heavier, but this goes down rather nicely and has a nice pale ale taste without being too overwhelming. Definitely not as hoppy as a normal PA, which to me is great.


Price: 5/10
$7.49 for a sixer at the local gas station. Not terrible but pretty good for a pale ale when everything else is 8 bucks or over, thanks to the hyper religious Bible Belt fucks and their crusade against alcohol. Thanks, Dallas scum.


Hangover Potential: 6/10
I had 4 in about an hour and change and then went to bed. Most beers wouldn't do much to me other than a little bit of stomach twinge in the morning. Not the case with this one...


Hangover Effects: 6/10
Slight headache and the aforementioned stomach twinge. I discovered right after I got up that I could kill small rodents with the farts this produces, it was bad enough that I farted right in one of my dogs' face and he got up from laying down and moved to the other side of the house. Also, as soon as I got to work, the shits were fervent. Normally I can hold out until about 8:30 or so, but not so much with this one.


All in all, pretty good for a pale ale, not too many of them make it into things I drink all the time, but this one might if it was a little cheaper. However, I couldn't have more than a couple, so that's probably not an option either. Oh well, shit.

4 comments:

Gantry said...

Judging from the rooster, I'd say it would go well with Sriracha...

What makes it "extra pale"? I figured even more hops but you said it tasted less hoppy...

Matt said...

Oh beer shits, will there ever be a cure?

defen said...

It was definitely less hops. I didn't pour it into a glass because I didn't give a crap, but my guess is it was much lighter than a normal one.

Anonymous said...

Good job on defining "extra pale", defen. Webster's been working on that one for years with no luck.