Friday, March 14, 2008

NAFTA and Foil-Wrapped Beers Don't Work



I'm hot and cold on Mexican beers. Dos Equis' amber and lager are two of my favorite beers in the world, nectar of the gods type stuff in my mind. Yet when I think of Corona, my brain starts chanting O-VER-RAT-ED.

Modelo Especial inhabits the same area as Pacifico in my Mexican beer hierarchy. Below Dos Equis, above Corona. Thoroughly drinkable, overpriced and best for special occasions.

I wish I had crazy stories from a fiesta to tell but to be honest, I purchased a 12'er of these squat bottles because my wife was making enchiladas with beans and rice and thought it would make a nice pairing.

The incredibly smooth and somewhat salty taste matched perfectly with dinner Monday night and has been nice to sample while sitting on the patio, enjoying the Phoenix spring.

What hasn't been so nice is picking the gold foil off the top of the bottle and out of my teeth once or twice. If any benefits are gained from wrapping these suckers with foil, they're canceled out with the frustration of beer-drinkers both north and south of the border trying to wet their whistle with golden refreshment in a timely manner.

My only other complaint is the price of this solid beverage. $15 for a 12-pack. I know it's an import and a thus a premium is placed on the beer but this is ridiculous.

I will never turn down a Modelo Especial if offered but I don't see myself purchasing any in the future either.

Taste - 7/10
Price - 2/10
Hangover Potential - 3/10 - Mexican brew is made to drink for days
Hangover Effects - n/a - responsible consumption was actually practiced
Randomness - 4/10 - Negro Modelo is more readily available than Especial but it's hardly difficult to track down

2 comments:

Matt said...

I think Negra Modelo is way better with food, have you had that before? good shit

Gantry said...

I have no qualms with the Modelo, but the foil & price make it a "someone else offers you one" type beer for me...